I have been helping folks create healthy homes for over 8 years now!
A certified Building Biologist Practioner, I began this journey with the build of my own tiny chemically safe house, the place in which I started to recover from mold illness and severe chemical sensitivity.
My main expertise lies in materials available in the US and Canada.
Healthy home consults are for you if:
- You own or rent a house, apartment or trailer
- You are building or remodeling
- You live with environmental sensitivities, allergies or asthma, including the most severe levels of MCS
- You are the homeowner or renter
Areas I assist you with:
Healthy Material Selection
We will go over your specific sensitivities, needs, and level of toxin avoidance, and you will come away with a list of products to use in your build or renovation.
This may involve self-testing materials for your own reactions. If you don’t have reactions (or obvious reactions), I will use your level of toxin avoidance to recommend products.
You will come away with pros and cons of materials you might have read about.
I will take into consideration the system as a whole, so that your moisture management system is intact and point out areas that are mold prone.
If it’s a new build, you will come away knowing the typical steps to choose an architect, builder, materials and job site supervisor.
I help sensitive folks who range from those with mild allergies to those with extreme chemical sensitivities.
I’m not just analyzing the SDS and what the manufacturer is telling us about what’s in it, I’m also using industry knowledge to suggest what additives are typically used and undisclosed. And I use my experience and that of thousands of chemically sensitive folks to choose the safest products.
Note: Topics I Don’t Cover
- Remediation and testing of mold, pesticides, lead, radon and asbestos (consult with specialists in those fields).
- Pest control choices (consult with a non-toxic pest control specialist).
- Mechanical systems: HVAC, appliances, electrical system concerns, and water heaters (consult with experts in the required mechanical field).
- Building science advice (should be provided by an architect, engineer, or other building science expert).
- How long does x take to offgas. Unless it’s a simple chemical that has been studied, it’s not likely someone has the answer to this. I have sniff tested many products myself and have experience from thousands of chemically sensitive folks, but I don’t have an answer for every product.
- Materials outside of North America – Evaluation of building materials, homes, and products outside of Canada and the US.
- Recommend a builder – I don’t recommend specific builders including tiny house companies. I do have some builders, designers, and architects on my resource page and can guide you through the process of finding a builder. More on why I don’t recommend builders here.