Paint for floors is notoriously higher in VOCs than wall paints.
These three paint options for wood and concrete floors are durable enough to withstand daily traffic and yet are low and zero-VOC formulations.
These are all water-based options. All three options on this list are excellent in terms of both indoor air quality impact and overall quality. The brands are all highly respected.
This post contains affiliate links. Upon purchase, I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- 1. ECOS Paints Floor Paint is formulated for wood and concrete floors. If you want a paint for wooden floors this is the top pick.
- Their Porch & Floor Paint, which is more durable, is made for exterior and interior concrete floors (not wood!)
I really like ECOS Paints and it’s always the top pick for chemically sensitive folks. I’ve sampled or used most of their products including these two, and they are the best in the acrylic paint category in my opinion.
Their paints are all zero-VOC and of good quality.
Buy through the ECOS website.
- 2. AFM Safecoat Concrete Floor Paint – This is an acrylic paint with PVA. It’s mostly used on concrete floors, but there are some conditions in which you can use it on wood.
AFM is another favorite brand amongst the chemically sensitive that has been around for a long time.
This is a low VOC formula.
Buy through Green Design Center.
- 3. Farrow and Ball makes a floor primer. Their Modern Eggshell line is then used on top of that. This works on wood and concrete floors. You can find more info on substrate prep on their website.
- Farrow and Ball paints and primers are PVA based which makes them very low in odor when wet.
Buy through the Farrow and Ball website.
4. Linseed Oil Paint is a durable paint that can be used on floors. This is a natural oil-based paint. The binder is linseed oil. Brands that I have tested include Allback and Earth+Flax.
If you are looking for a list of all-natural floor finishes (that are not necessarily paint), I have a post on that topic.
Corinne Segura is a Building Biologist Practitioner with 8 years of experience helping others create healthy homes.